Ambrosia and Autism

My plans for the Victorian District excursion were postponed due to rain, along with the puppet show. There is always next week. It all worked out for the best. I was itching for some good vegetarian food and found this little place on the 6th St called Amrosia Living Foods Cafe. It has wifi and I was in the mood to write and eat. Only one of those happened. The place was small and friendly. I asked to sit by an outlet and server told me a last minute presentation was about to happen and the outlet would be in use. I walked to the back of the restaurant and there I was talked into the getting the raw special: beet ravioli. Which was amazingly delicious and filling.


Followed by raw baklava for desert. All the food served is gluten free.


After finishing my meal I wasn't ready to leave so I asked what the presentation was about. Author Rhonda Spellman was discussing diet and nutrition in regards to treating autism. Also joining her was Dr. Laurence Becker, an award winning film maker, and collector of autistic art.

I've always had a fascination and a soft spot for people with mental disabilities. I want to start a not-for-profit that supports creativity for children with mental disabilities, but that will happen a little further down the road.

I remember being in Best Buddies while I attended Drake University. I mentored Candy, who had down syndrome. We had a great time. She would always tell me "You're the best!" and I would tell her, "Well you're better than me, so that makes you the best." I still have the t-shirt we tie-dyed together. I broke her heart when I left Drake, but she understood that I wasn't happy and that I needed to find happy.

At first I felt a little out of place because I was the youngest person there and I'm not a parent of an autistic child. Rhonda Spellman is a vibrant woman from Colorado. She sprained her ankle while climbing down some rock and wore a huge ankle brace, but that didn't stop her from making it to all her presentations. Her eyes were sincere and filled with vitality. She rocked some light blue pants with flowers all over them, and light yellow top.


She wrote a few children's books and helps children write their own books. She told the story of her son and what caused his autism. Her son was totally normal at birth and a year later, it wasn't until after he was given MMR vaccine, which led to her son having mercury poisoning. In her most recent book she provides a behavior modification diet that has helped her son become a full-time functioning student in school. What worked for her son was glutathione and diet modification.

Dr. Laurence Becker is a character. He carries around this piece of plastic that he claims has the entire bible on it. He also turned his home into an autistic art museum.


I was struck by how alive and passionate these people are, and how real their love is for this world. Rhonda put the question out there "What is your passion?" After briefly thinking about it I knew that I love learning and connecting with people. For a long time I shut myself off to the world and put up some huge walls. That part of my life was necessary because I needed to figure what was me by separating out from the past and focusing on the person I want to be. Now I'm in a place to fully embrace the beauty of this world.

The owner of the restaurant came up to me after the presentation and we chatted. I told him a little about my story and he gave me his number and told me if I ever needed anything to give him a call. I'm amazed by the people and the passion I've encountered my short time here. Austin is making it really easy for me to stay.







Comments

  1. Ian Lizzadro-McPhersonJuly 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM

    Hey sis, so you ate in a gluten free joint and the lady speaking about fighting autism in the gluten free joint was saying that gluten was part of the diet....that's hilarious. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glutathione is not the same as gluten. Glutathione is an antioxidant
    found in raw fruit, veggies, milk, and meat. Gluten is a protein found
    in most grains, cereals, and breads. Two very different things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin's son has autism and she mentioned that diet does affect their behavior and can even make them better. Great post. Autism always scares me because I keep meeting people who have autistic children. Did she mention what she believed was the cause of autism?

    ~Maysoon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ms. Jasinski

Platonic: Hmm.....