Ms. Jasinski

Woke up with a taste of nostalgia. I haven't missed my mom in more than a while. It felt good to remember her. As I placed my amethyst earrings in their holes, I sighed a loud, "God I miss you Terri."

To work at the Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art is to be in a constant state of nostalgia. Not only from the stone sculptures of Chinese Dynasties, but also my grandfathers essence that haunts the place with his original office and library still intact. When I sit up front greeting guests and doing research, I yearn to hear grandpa Joe's voice call me into his office and give me something to do. Never met the man. Only see him every week in a stone portrait custom made in Florence, Italy as a tribute to his passing.

The afternoon lingered. A woman came in. As I watched her sign the guestbook I thought to myself: I know this woman. Yes, it has to be her. 
 She approached the front desk.

"Hi, I use to have one of the grandaughters in my class a while back-"
"You're Ms. Jasinski," I cut in.
"Katy?"

19 years since I'd seen Ms. Jasinski, my teacher from Alcuin Montessori in Oak Park. Seeing her brought me back to the last time I remember my mother happy, before moving to Arizona, before the self destruction, before the cancer.

The warmest memories of Terri dwell in our life from Oak Park: Living and being born in a pink victorian house next the house that Hemmingway was born in; never a shortage of playmates wether it be an animal or person or plant; everyday was an adventure; parties, art, and laughter...

After all these years Ms. Jasinski had never been to the museum before and only decided that day to come in after chatting with a friend. I got to spend a little time with my mom that day in whatever form it took.

It will be 15 years since her passing on April 23rd.

Dear Terri,

Your spirit lives on.

Love,
Katy




Comments

  1. Replies
    1. At work today I got a little card from Ms. Jasinski saying how nice it was to finally come to the museum and see me. Really sweet :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ambrosia and Autism

Hey now Anne Roos