The Resident

Heard arguing in the street at 3am. Looked out the window. A couple walking with backpacks appeared sleep deprived, emotionally rought, and exuding western traveler ignorance, they were American. The man reminded me of a long haired squirly, boundry lacking yoga teacher I briefly dated back in the Chicago. The woman short, thick, and confused as to how the fuck they got there. 

Went outside to be of some help to the American couple. Relief melted over their faces when realized a fellow American stood infront of them. 

"Where are you guys trying to go?"-Me
Both began speaking telling their version of the story, at the same time. Snippets of spending most of their cash on taxis taking them to the wrong places in attempts to get to a hostel is what I caught. The woman looked at the man as if she was going pull his hair out for being such an idiot, which he was. 

"What's the name of the hostel?"-Me
Again both began speaking at the same time. "It's a Tal or Tel, Telle, or Tela, Toula." -The couple
"I think you mean Talal."-Me
"Yes! Yes! That's it! Oh my God you know (heavy breathing and sighs of relief).-The couple 
"Ok you aren't far its about a 25 minute walk..."-Me
Before I could finish a woman and child interrupted from a dark corner. They both looked ragged and worn. The woman had dark circles under her eyes and the child was filthy.
"I...I...I need your help."-Woman
The American couple started digging in their pockets for change and I held my hand up for them to stop. I could tell it wasn't money she wanted.
"I need you (pointing to the couple) to take my daughter. In order for her to have a good life, YOU must take her. I know you can't have children (the couple stood frozen). She is not safe with me and I love her and know she will have a better life with you."-Woman
(Silence)
"I really don't know how to respond."-American man
The American woman's tears streamed down her face and her eyes seriously considerd this woman's words. 
"What kind of trouble are you in?"-Me
"It's too late for me but it's not too late for her."-Woman
She reeked of desperation and we all smelled it. The woman looked around and began to panic.
"Please you must take her and quickly. Go! Go! Go!"
For some reason the couple listened and the man picked her up. I quickly explained how to get to Talal A taxi pulled up and then explained to him where they were going.

They left and I turned to look at the woman. She breathed heavily and slowly fell in disbelief. I caught her and eased to her to the ground. 

"Do you want to come inside?"-Me
"No no I have to go."-Woman
"Where do you need to go? Do you have money to get there?"-Me
"It's close. Up the street by the hospital."
"I'll walk you there to make sure you are fine. You really can stay here for the night if you want."-Me
"It isn't far."-Woman

I helped her up and we walked towards the hospital. She stopped at a corner, she grabbed my hand, thanked me, and ran across the street. I watched her arrive at the other side. We stared at each other. I gave her a concerned smile and waved goodbye. A taxi pulled up and waved my hand to send him away. The backdoor opened and someone shoved me in. The doors locked. The struggle began. I saw the woman out the window as the taxi passed. Her eyes filled with sorrow. 
An unseen force paralyzed my body. My eyes refused to open to whitness who was stealing my soul, my light, my essense (blackout).

Woke up to be kicked out of the taxi. Not knowing where I was, or what really happened in the car, I wondered what was to become of my life from here on out. A petite English woman apporached me, wearing a vest and a hat, which seemed unsual as looked around at the other inhabitants.

"Where am I?"-Me
"Welcome to your new life. It really doesn't matter dear because from here on out everything is taken care of."-English woman
"What? Where am I suppose to go? How will I suppost myself? Where am I?"-Me
"Like I said, that's all been taken care of."-Woman
She smirked and waved her arm towards the residence of where I would reside. 
I looked at the building. It was dirty from the outside, and noticed the people coming out of it appeared to be quite seedy.
"There?"-Me 
Confused and concerned I turned to look at the woman to know for certain that this was the place, she was gone. 
I made my way towards the building. I entered the lobby which appeared to be just as dirty as the outside and asked the front desk about my room. 
"Ah yes. We've been waiting for you. You are in room 1300."-Receptionist
Everyone in the lobby quited down as they heard this. The receptionist loudly placed the key on the wooden counter and pushed it towards me.
"Room 1300."-Receptionist
The lobby was silent as I picked up the key. As I turned around everyone sournded me. My stomache dropped. 
"Excuse me," I politely smiled and tried to make my way through the crowd. As I tried people began grabbing at my clothes, my arms, my hair. Touching me everywhere and yelling. I stumbled to the stairs and began to run up them. The crowd followed. A group of men pushed their way to the front one of them catching the back bottom of my shirt jolting me back. I fell on top of him and bolted up the stairs. There was no where else to go but up. I ran up 13 flights of stairs desperate to make it to my room. The mob was getting louder which meant they were getting closer. Finally I made it all the way to my room on the top floor. Slammed the door. I attempted to lock the door and realized all the locks were broken. There was no need for the key. The door swung open and mob came at me again. 
There was once voice a reason. 
"He guys she just got here. Give her a break."-Guy 1
"Alright, we'll let you get settled tonight. Tomorrow be ready to work."-Guy 2

Lots of hoots and hollers followed. 

"What do you mean work?"-Me
"Well sweetie, you are The Resident, and your only job is service all of us and who ever else wants to be serviced. You get paid really well (eyes me up and licks his lips). Get some sleep you gotta big day tomorrow. Don't you think about leavin (winks at me)" -Guy 2

I heard the mob fade down the stairs. I curled up in a ball by the bed. How did this happen? What am I going to do? I have to get out of here. I rocked myself to sleep on the floor for a few hours to wake up to the mailbox on the door overflowing with cash. I opened the box and took out all the cash. Held it in my hands. There was about $100,000 in different currencies. A note fell out that said, "There is more where that came from."

In my soul, my being, my core I am not a woman who can be bought no matter the amount.

Staring at the cash around me, I never wanted to leave a place more. Barefoot, clueless, and dirty I had to make my getaway, but before I knew my next steps, my alarm clock went off and a woke to my worth. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ambrosia and Autism

Ms. Jasinski

Platonic: Hmm.....