Newborn

Martine and I did not hit it off very well. She being of a physically short and emotionally stern nature did not find my communicative facial expressions cute in response to my French newborn muteness. Her eyebrows would raise and her blue eyes peer up at me ultimately to complete a full roll to the right. This happened quite a bit. She would stare at me while I cut bread to tell me not to do that. She served me stale baguette for breakfast when I asked for yogurt. My bedroom is the only room in the flat doesn't have wifi.  My very existence was a problem. Stefanie, the German, noticed that Martine cared very little for me. I wondered how Martine and I would live together for three months. 

I decided to see if there was another host family I could possibly live with. The college was great and found two other families for me to visit. I set up a time to meet with one. It took about 30 minutes to get there by bus. The mother and daughter were very sweet and emphasized how much they like Americans. They told me that speaking french would be terrible difficult for me. Something about that comment didn't sit well with me. The bus ride back to Martine's I realized that Martine didn't care if french was difficult for me, all she wanted me to do was speak french. I would rather live someone who expects me to do it verses people who feel bad for me. I really want to learn this language, this is why I am here. If I want to be any good and not sound like a British or Australian person speaking french, I have to live with Martine. She will correct and critique the shit out of my french. I needed to get over myself. I realized I had it pretty good with Martine: only a ten minute bus ride from the college; I get to eat breakfast with a fantastic view of the ocean every day; three minute walk to the beach; I am living with a woman who has traveled the world; also I really like Stefanie and have an opportunity to learn a great deal from both women.

I went home and wrote Martine a letter in french:


What I was trying to say was: "I have been humbled. I am an idiot. I acted like a little girl not a woman. I am sorry. Peace, Kathryn"

Je vais a la plage- Me
Oui (looked surprised)-Martine
-Pour toi (handed her the note and went out the door immediately after)

Turns out "petite fille" is granddaughter in french. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ambrosia and Autism

Ms. Jasinski

Hey now Anne Roos