The Birth

Cannes welcomed me with great humidity. The educated retired 65 year-old woman who enjoys sailing, dancing, cinema and long walks picked me up at the College International de Cannes. She looked at my luggage and seemed confused. She began speaking to me in French. I smiled with confusion and humility.

"I don't speak french."-me
"I don't speak english."-Martine

We both stared at each other, probably thinking the same thing.

She brought me back to her flat. Very clean and simple, great view. 


After some broken english I discovered there was a German girl also staying at the flat. Stefanie speaks english very well and teaches french in Germany so inevitably speaks French quite well also.  

Conversations with the three of us consist of Martine and Stefanie speaking in French, me spacing out onto the water, Stefanie rephrases, Martine and I stare at each other trying to gage emotional response of the other while her piercing blue eyes penetrate intensely with the hopes that when I open my mouth french falls out.

"Give me a week."-me

I'm so grateful Germany teaches her citizens to speak English so well. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ambrosia and Autism

Ms. Jasinski

Platonic: Hmm.....