Reality, Reflection, Recall: Trauma Unit

As the GMC Yukon truck hit the left side of my body, my spirit jumped out to the sidewalk to observe. Watching my body hit the ground, laying there in the cute little black outfit from the night before, I thought, "You look sexy... wait a minute, you just started getting sexy...get back in that sexy body!"
Spirit jumped back in the body and popped up, got on my bike and said, "I'm going home." Then lightly passed out into a stranger's arms.

Coming back to consciousness I was barraged with questions. A lady held my head while a man kept me engaged in consciousness:

Man: Do you know your name?
Me: Yes
Man: What is it?
Me: (laying in middle of North Avenue) Is my face all fucked up?
Lady: Surprisingly no. Your chin is bleeding (I attempt to lift my arm to touch it). No (pats my arm away). What's your name sweetie?
Me: Kathryn McMuffin
Man: (Finds my ID and says to the lady) Last name is McPherson. Do you know where you are?
Me: North and lunch...is my pad showing? (Man pulls my skirt down)
Man: Do you know what day it is?
Me: It's Tuesday but it's not November and it's not May.
Man: When is your birthday?
Me: Scorpio 14th 1985
Man: Where do you live?
Me: I live...I live somewhere...in a place...there's a roof and cats...appliances...just down the street...right down there.
Man: Kathryn, can you give me an address?
Me: Rockwell, Maplewood, North, appliances...above lots of appliances.
Man: What about appliances?

I couldn't for the life of me give my address. The ambulance came. Overheard bits and pieces of conversations:

Paramedic: How fast was she hit at?
Police Officer: 30 miles per hour by that truck.
Paramedic: What? You gotta be kidding me? How is she not dead? She wasn't wearing a helmet!
Police Officer: I don't know.
Me: I'm fine I can go home.
Paramedic: You are in shock honey.
Me: I make mistakes.

The paramedic calls in my report and the ambulance takes off.

Paramedic: You are one lucky lucky person. You got hit by a beast of a car. I've never seen anyone come out of an impact like that. I mean...
Me: I do yoga and have special things
Paramedic: (conversing with trauma unit at the hospital) Letting you know they will be cutting your clothes off when you get to the trauma unit.
Me: Why? My outfit is so cute and easy to take off. Easy on easy off. I'm bleeding down there.
Paramedic: You leg yes.
Me: My vagina. Menstruations

I passed out for a little bit only to be startled by the trauma team at Illinois Masonic.

Doctor 1: Hi Kathryn we will be taking care of you. Everything will be alright. How are you doing?
(as they pull me out of the ambulance)
Doctor 2: Kathryn we are going to cut your clothes off.
Me: Geeze guys buy a girl a drink first
Doctor 1: Oh this is gonna be a fun one
Me: There is blood coming from my vagina and that was there before.
Doctor 3: (Touches my left leg) Does this hurt?
Me: Stop tickling me
Doctor 1: (Talking amoungst the trauma team and looking at my medical results) This girl is kind of a freak. How is she not more messed up? Nothing is broken, no internal damage. No head trauma. She has the vitals of a resting marathon athlete. Kathryn do you train for marathons?
Me: The marathon of my life. I didn't eat lunch
Doctor 1: Kathryn what do you do?
Me: Yoga, I teach. I ride a bike. Like dancing a lot. Breathing stuff. Lot a meditation
Doctor 1: Oh, you can teach all of us then. 6pm tonight?
Me: You guys seem cool. Lets have a barbecue. 6 am my room
Nurse: Kathryn who can we call for you?
Me: Fran. she is probably wondering why I'm not eating lunch. Erin too, she is the last person I spoke to on the phone

After they got me all cleaned and stitched up I was up, the friends were allowed in. I was moved into my own private room. The staff really liked me.




I kinda should be dead, but I'm not.

To be continued...











Comments

  1. Holy moly lady. You are one tough and lucky cookie.
    And just as a side note to the craziness of the story, I am really enjoying how you are telling it. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ambrosia and Autism

Ms. Jasinski

Hey now Anne Roos